Friday, June 18, 2010

Adoption Education

Wow! I think I'm going to be much smarter by the time I complete all of the education required for this adoption. Our home study agency now requires 10 hours of training so the whole crew of us is planning to head to Boise later today. We have 3 hours tonight and 7 hours tomorrow. Our placing agency requires an additional 12 hours (6 specific courses) of online training. I started on these a couple days ago. One class was specific to the culture and adoption process of Abby's country. It took more like 4 hours to read through all the information--partially because I hit on so many of the extra links on the various pages--but it was extremely informative and I am so appreciative that so much information is gathered together in one spot where I can reference it over and over. Yesterday I went through the course on the grief and loss that an adopted child has already experienced and will yet experience as they not only have lost their family of origin and adjust to a new family but a totally new culture as well. It's not that I didn't know this already yet it was sobering to me because I am so passionate about adoption and think of it as a WONDERFUL thing.

Besides this, Kevin and I got certificates between us for 3 Hague classes at the Christian Alliance for Orphans Summit in Minneapolis.

1 comment:

  1. I think YOU should be teaching the courses. So excited for your family. Your little girl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete