Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Steven's Birthday/Abby-Girl

I just cannot believe how incredibly tired I am. No matter how many 'big' projects I complete, I can't seem to get to that wondrous, mystical place of "nothing to do but blog." Tonight I have been reading and reading and reading emails from some of the Yahoo groups that I just LOVE but I just cannot get caught up. I feel so out of the loop.

Steven's 7th birthday was Sunday. I finally got to buy presents that afternoon and we had a fun but somewhat impromptu party that night along with my parents. They are such good sports, so willing to participate in the last-minute plans of their majorly-mahvelous daughter.

Steven was so cute. I'd go up to him throughout the day and start singing "Happy Birthday" and he'd point to himself, giggle and say "Me? Me?" Of course, Caleb felt it only fair that he, too, should have a birthday but was able to enjoy the time anyway. Thankfully, Mom wrapped presents, Kevin cooked dinner and Scheri had baked the cake so when I got home like 6:30 pm I could concentrate on frosting it-- mixing colors for the rainbow stripes--for the party at 7:30. Also bought red plastic tablecloth, green plates, yellow cups, orange napkins and blue forks/spoons to go along with the rainbow theme. AND we had rainbow chip cake and frosting and multi-colored Popsicles. Come to think of it, we never got around to official games!

Then Monday I surprised Steven by showing up in his classroom at 2:30 with cupcakes. He was already wearing a birthday crown signed by his classmates and had received a little book Corduroy and a book mark from his teacher. After passing out the snacks I got to share with his class about the beautiful city in Ukraine where Steven was born, showed them a couple souvenirs (they LOVED the nesting doll), told them a little about the alphabet, about soccer being a favorite sport, how to say yes and no in Ukrainian and let them look at pictures books of Kiev and Ukraine in general. I was pleasantly surprised at how interested they were when I showed them where Ukraine is on the map. I had a great time.

On the Abby front, we do indeed have to re-do the Power of Attorney document. Toni verified that there cannot be any crossing-out. So I have two copies here by the computer awaiting a time when we can again bless a notary with our dual presences. (I'll bet you didn't even know that presences is a word!!!)

One VERY cool thing is that Abby's Center has found a wonderful lady that can tutor her in English 3 times a week. We are currently in the process of working out the best way to transfer the necessary funds. It only comes out to about $120 per month. I just feel so blessed that the staff there in AbbyVille are concerned enough about her well-being to arrange this for us. It will so greatly benefit our transition.

I sure do miss my little girl.

2 comments:

  1. I'm tired too! :o) With Tom gone. Joy, your family sounds so precious! (((HUGS))) to you all and Happy Birthday Steven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to handsome Steven!

    ReplyDelete