Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Weird Prayer Request

Yesterday I made a weird prayer request.  I was just pulling away from our local City Hall after paying our water bill when the song, "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath came on the radio.  As you may know the chorus to this convicting song goes like this: 
"Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten 
Give me your eyes so I can see."

This song has touched my heart many, many times.  But yesterday I think it made me a little mad.  I prayed something along this line: "No, God, don't give me your eyes.  No, I don't want to see.  I want to be just as unconcerned and oblivious to the needs of the orphans as everyone else around me."

Caring hurts.  Caring is exhausting.  Caring is lonely.  Sometimes caring seems to be a waste of time.

But this morning I am reminded of a couple important things.  The first is that my ignoring of the dire needs of vulnerable children across the planet will not magically make those needs disappear.  And secondly, the Bible says, "Do not be weary in well-doing, for in due season you will reap a harvest if you don't give up."

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, Joy...You just made me cry. I'm over here in B... so weary after a week of being in one of the worst orpanages in the country. Trying to spend every second with my daughter who I'll have to say goodbye to tomorrow for 6 months, and yet not being able to spend every second with her because how can I walk down the hall without touching every little hand that pokes out of those damn metal cribs soaked in pee, and once I touch the hand then of course I'm having to stop and touch their face and talk to them and then there's all my friends babies who are here in hell waiting for their mama's to come and all the sad eyes, and snotty noses that no one wipes- and I didn't bring enough tissues to wipe my own daughters green nose but how can I not wipe the other noses down these halls and so now it's night time and I'm missing my children at home who were also orphans and yet I've abandoned them to come here to find this daughter and I'm tired and weary and want to load up a 747 with all these babies and bring them home but there's not enough paper in my town to complete all the paperwork that would take and I'm so weary of the paperwork to get this far that I can't even imagine picking up a pen to write one more time what's with this crazy system that makes these babies lie here while a group of govenment officials decide when I'm allowed to bring her home and where are all the Christians anyway and why are there babies everywhere without a mom tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda :( Bless your dear heart. I am so glad there are people like you who are THERE touching those little hands, looking into those sad eyes and wiping those snotty noses. I can't imagine how overwhelming it must be. I truly cannot. With the time difference, you might very well be there right now. May God hold you and your daughter snugly in His big strong arms in the months ahead.
    Much love
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joy, as you can tell it was a rough goodbye, and your post was right on target. God bless you for your ever joyful spirit and enduring faith. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete